Monday, February 23, 2009

Waldorf's Astoria Cake

Aka Red Velvet cake...a couple weeks ago at my parents house for Sunday night dinner we were discussing red velvet cake. I didn't know what flavor it was, or really anything about it. Unless you count the part from "Steel Magnolias" when they are eating the armadillo-shaped, iced red velvet cake (which is hilarious I might add!)

Anyway - so between my parents and Grandma Betty I learned that it was "invented" years ago by a chef at the Waldorf Hotel in New York (He also "invented" Waldorf Salad). So yesterday I made my first Waldorf's Astoria/Red Velvet cake, and took it to Sunday night dinner. And as weird as it was to eat it, it actually tastes just like chocolate cake! Picture below - aren't you glad you checked my blog today! haha

4 comments:

Ridenour Family said...

Isn't it sort of like a chocolate cake with a bunch of red food coloring in it? My mom and I have wondered the same thing! Looks delicious!

The Evans Family said...

Yes Tricia,it is exactly like chocolate cake with lots of red food coloring(and butter).
It was really good, but it almost tastes better if you eat it with your eyes closed!

Ridenour Family said...

Weird! I probably shouldn't make it, though, because Haydn gets wild with red dye! I'll feed that to him before sports!!

The Evans Family said...

Haha! Probably not a good idea!